O-054 THAMES 3.0, The Threat and Hazard Assessment Methodology System
THAMES 3.0 is an MS-Windows software application which supports the Threat Assessment (TA) of a munition during its life-cycle for those concerned with the operational planning, procurement, development and assessment of munitions. A TA performed with THAMES 3.0 results in an overview of all the perceived threats that are considered relevant for a munition in a prescribed scenario. It allows assessment of both munition safety as well as its explosive hazard and suggests particular tests to be performed. The TAmethodology supported by THAMES 3.0 has been enhanced as a result of input from France, the United Kingdom and the United States specialists. THAMES 3.0 incorporates relevant International, NATO, US,UK and French documents associated with munition safety and suitability for service and Insensitive Munition (IM) requirements. The software will offer the user the capability to select which documents to choose from to complete the evaluation.
THAMES 3.0 for Windows has been under development since 1997. It has been distributed within the NIMIC Nations starting in October 1999. The functions performed by THAMES 3.0 are the following:
- define situations a munition may be in during its expected life-cycle, and within each situation, define threats to which that munition may be exposed;
- provide the user with the ability to define its own situations and threats;
- identify the documents related to policy, design and testing of weapon systems and munitions to satisfy either the Insensitive Munitions or the Safety and Suitability for Service requirements;
- visualize the thought process involved in the performance of a TA;
- provide an audit tool to re-trace the decision making process for a TA;
- provide a tool to assist collaboration within different groups, services or countries.