MSIAC expertise in propulsion covers both propelling charges and solid rocket motors.
MSIAC addresses the safety concerns of propulsion from the design phase to the end of life, including testing and evaluation, and surveillance.
- Development of Expertise in Propulsion
- Insensitive Munitions Database
- Munitions Health Management - MHM
- Insensitive Munitions Policy
- Gathering information on new technologies related to rocket motor and propelling charge.
- Answering Technical Questions and developing Technical Reports in the area of Propulsion Technology
- Reaction mechanisms in Rocket Motors
- Recent advances in rocket and gun propellant technology
MSIAC maintains a catalogue of Insensitive Munitions testing facilities (L-106) and a catalogue of environmental testing facilities (L-196). The content of those catalogues is provided directly by the testing facilities. In addition, in order to help the testing facilities assessing their capacity to perform IM tests, MSIAC has developed a self-audit procedure. To date, this procedure was used by 5 test centres. Reports of the self-audit are available on weblink.
- Advanced Insensitive Munitions Search - AIMS
AIMS is a web-based platform for quick and easy search of IM (Insensitive Munitions) Test Results. It combines the test results on munitions response to the six IM Threats: Fast Cook-off, Slow Cook-off, Bullet Impact, Fragment Impact, Sympathetic Reaction and Shaped Charge Jet Impact. https://www.msiac.nato.int/products-services/advanced-im-search-aims
- Mitigation Techniques for Munitions - MTM
MTM is a web-based application allowing the search of techniques and technologies to mitigate the reaction of munitions against IM threats. https://www.msiac.nato.int/products-services/m3-now-titled-mitigation-technologies-for-munitions
Picture taken during the Cooperative Demonstration of Technology on MHM
October 2019, NATO Headquarters
MSIAC is currently involved in a SMART Defence Initiative within NATO with aiming at developing policy and guidance documents to foster implementation of MHM capabilities.
Support is provided to update the Allied Publications related to the Response Descriptors, the Bullet Impact test, the Shaped Charge Jet attack and the Fragment Impact test for the CNAD Ammunition Safety Group SG/B.